Thursday 7 February 2013

DOC HEAL THYSELF




HUMAN TOUCH  
He looked relaxed .
He smiled at me
 He listened to me ,
Without  interrupting  me,
He asked questions politely.
I was examined  carefully and gently ,
Starting with a warm touch on my hand ,
Followed by a thorough  physical examination,
He  observed , palpated , percussed ,
 Last was auscultation,
We conversed  and discussed ,
Before  being advised ,
Of investigations and management
My fears I expressed 
My thoughts I shared 
I felt satisfied  and half cured 

NO HUMAN TOUCH  
TECHNOLOGY   TOUCH 
He looked occupied and  busy.
As if I was making him dizzy,
He was on his mobile,
He   cut  short my talk ,
His questioning was curt ,
His look was noncommittal
He examined a little ,
Just  a momentary auscultation,
No other examination ,
Wrote a list of investigations,
Cut short my queries ,
No time for discussion 
Just possibilities listed
He said  follow the note written ,
I  was fearfully smitten ,
Did not know what to deduce,
I was  confused.


MEDICAL TEACHING THEN
Standing at the  patients bedside 
Talking to him with smiles ,
All good intentions implied 
Consultant  expert by our side.
The patient was the focus of teaching,
Positive physical findings ,
Examination methods guided 
Were shown and highlighted,
At a little distance we  shifted ,
Clinical possibilities discussed,
Investigations needed  questioned ,
Investigations done analyzed,
Further discussions  encouraged
Self study inspired .


MEDICAL TEACHING NOW 
Sitting in the conference room,
Only students   and  consultant,
No patient in  movement ,
History and findings presented,
Clinical skills discarded ,
X-rays and scans projected,
Other reports  scrutinized , 
Investigative  technology advanced ,
Investigations form the focus of teaching,
Hardly   any scope for grey areas,
Diagnosis  tech made ,
Discussions hence shortened
No doubts entertained.
No self study inspired  .

1 comment: